Monday, March 10, 2008

Great Weekend of Racing


Kate Said:

This weekend, the Colorado Cowgirls represented the team well, with nice finishes in the Frost Bite Time Trial and the Denver University Criterium. The time trial was a definitely a test! It consisted of a 6.5 mile out and back course only five miles from Wyoming. There was a cross/tailwind on the way out and the course seemed to fly by… and then we turned around! The wind blasted right into our faces and made for a treacherous, grueling, mash-fest back to the lovely orange cone by Buckeye road. I am not sure about Cari or Clare, but I was very happy to see that cone! Clare brought in a 3rd place, behind Meredith Miller and Georgia Gould! Nice Job Clare! They "think" Cari finished 4th right behind clare and I finished 5th.

Clare Said:
Last weekend was our first races on our fixture and I might say that it has started off really well! Last Saturday was the Frostbite TT which was a flat 12 mile course. I immediately thought, "Ill do this in about 30 minuets"! When Kate and I arrived to the race I got out of the car and felt what everyone does not want to feel when about to do a TT, WIND! "Well there goes my chance of doing a 30min TT", I thought.

Going on the way out was a tail wind with a slight cross wind which was a breeze but on the way back felt like you were pulling a pile of bricks behind you! The wind was that strong.

At the end of it all I was hyperventilating for 5 min after the race and accepted the fact that I way get at the most fifth place. To my surprise I got third and I cant complain about that. My team mate Kate got 4th place and unfortunately Cari didn't get a time. Cari went off before me and my goal was to catch her. She took off like lighting, I looked at Missy and said there is no way I can catch her!

UPDATE!! Cari came in 4th with a time of 33:43! which puts Kate into 5th place. Sorry Kate but awesome job Cari!


Sunday was the Criterium at Denver University. There would of been about 30 to 40 riders who turned up to race. At the start line I whisper to Cari, "Im going to go off like a sprint, watch me". So anyway, the gun goes off and what happens? I lose my balance and almost tipped over my bike. I had to sprint anyway to get on the pack, I can see Cari up ahead turn her head around looking for me with this confused look on her face. I made an ass of myself.

After the first lap I decided to make the first move, I attacked and went away for about one and a half laps. I wanted to string out the field and tried to get back into a good position once the pack caught up to me. Unfortunately Kate got a flat tyre and was out for a lap. Cari made an other attack and broke away with two other riders, Kate and I made sure that no one tried to bridge it and closed down any attempts of a break from other riders.

It was a great day for our number one sprinter Cari coming first over the line and having a great result for the team over the weekend.

Many thanks to Missy whith her support and game planning.
Above is a picture of the Criterium circut.


3 comments:

cowgirl said...

Great weekend girls! Boulder is now sitting back wondering who let the cows in.

Cari

Anonymous said...

Who let the cows in, oomph oomph,
who let the cows in...
booyah!

Don't mess with a holstein.

BUNNY said...

Congratulations on the Big Stampede! Sounds like an exciting race.
Good Luck in Sequoia,
BUNNY
p.s. Clare--hope your hoof heals up in a timely fashion.